You can input in any of the fields and get equivalent values.
Find out how to convert Mg to Grams and Grams to Mg
How many Milligram to Gram ? (mg to g)
The formula to convert milligrams to grams is:
grams = milligrams / 1000
For example, to convert 500 mg to grams, divide 500 by 1000:
grams = 500 mg / 1000 = 0.5 g
How many Gram to Milligram? (1 gram to mg)
The formula to convert grams to milligrams is:
milligrams = grams * 1000
To convert 2.5 g to milligrams, multiply 2.5 by 1000:
milligrams = 2.5 g * 1000 = 2500 mg
Milligrams and Grams: Everything You Need to Know (and More!)
A gram is the basic unit of mass in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as one-thousandth of a kilogram.
A milligram is one-thousandth of a gram.
- The origin of the gram and milligram can be traced back to the French Revolution in the late 18th century. At that time, the French government was looking for a new system of measurement that was more logical and easier to use than the existing system. They commissioned a group of scientists to develop a new system, which was eventually adopted as the metric system in 1799.
- A gram is equal to the mass of one cubic centimeter of pure water at 4 degrees Celsius and one atmosphere of pressure. A milligram is equal to one thousandth of a gram.
- The word "gram" comes from the Latin word "gramma," which means "small weight.. The word "milligram" comes from the Latin word "mille," which means "thousand," and the word "gram." A milligram is one thousandth of a gram, or 0.001 grams.
- Grams and milligrams are used to measure a wide variety of substances, including food, medicine, and chemicals.
Here are some additional facts about grams and milligrams:
- One gram of water has a volume of one milliliter.
- The average human adult weighs about 70 kilograms, which is equal to 70,000 grams.
- A single grain of rice weighs about 5 milligrams.
- A teaspoon of sugar weighs about 4 grams.
- A US dollar bill weighs about one gram.
- The smallest object that can be seen with the naked eye weighs about 0.1 milligrams.
- The most expensive substance in the world is californium-252, which is a radioactive isotope of californium. It costs about $27 million per milligram.
Here are some examples of when to use grams vs. milligrams:
- Measuring the mass of food items, such as fruits, vegetables, and meat.
- Measuring the mass of cooking ingredients.
- Measuring the mass of packaged goods, such as cereal and flour.
- Measuring the mass of jewelry and other precious metals.
- Measuring the mass of chemicals in a laboratory setting.
- Measuring the mass of medicine doses.
- Measuring the mass of vitamin supplements.
- Measuring the mass of very small objects, such as cells and DNA molecules.
- Measuring the mass of drugs in a laboratory setting.
- Measuring the mass of chemicals in a manufacturing setting.
Here is a comparison table for milligrams (mg) and grams (g):
|Characteristic||Milligrams (mg)||Grams (g)|
|Definition||Unit of mass equal to one thousandth of a gram||Unit of mass in the metric system|
|Commonly used to measure||Small quantities of mass, such as medicine doses and vitamin supplements.||Larger quantities of mass, such as food items and packaged goods.|
|Examples||100 mg of ibuprofen, 500 mg of vitamin C, 1 mg of powder||100 g of apple, 250 g of flour, 1000 g of gold|
- Grams and milligrams are often used in cooking and baking to measure ingredients precisely.
- Grams are used to measure the amount of medication in a pill or capsule.
- Milligrams are used to measure the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee.
- Grams are used to measure the amount of sugar in a serving of food.
- Milligrams are used to measure the amount of vitamin C in a piece of fruit.
- Grams are used to measure the amount of protein in a serving of meat.
- Milligrams are used to measure the amount of cholesterol in an egg.
Note: The above content has inputs from Bard, the AI model from Google.
Milligram to Gram (mg to gm, mg to g conversion) Table
Gram to Milligram (grams to mg conversion) Table
|Gram (g)||Milligram (mg)|